First of all, yes, it is real and NOPE its not your hormones so that should make you feel a little bit better. Cant blame those pesky hormones for his one!
How I knew I had it…
I woke up one morning and literally could not move my left thumb without excruciating pain! I immediately thought, did I hit it? bang it on something? or fall asleep on my hand, since lets be honest with a two month old (at the time) I would sleep anywhere and anytime I could!
Well that day I went to pick up Cupcake and couldnt even lift her..are you kidding me?? Thank God Grandma and Daddy were there or I might have called 911..ok Im exaggerating slightly but you get the picture.
What I did next:
Yup you guessed it, hello Google! Typed in “my thumb hurts after childbirth” and guess what came up? Mommy Thumb! So it does exist ( yes, go run and tell your hubby, significant other or just scream it out loud- I did!)
The medical name is De Quervain Syndrome, an inflammation of the tendons below the thumb down to the wrist. So what causes this thing??
- Older new mothers (not EVEN going there!)
- Heavier children (not going there either!!)
- Lifting your child, the car seat and all of their stuff AKA being a MOM!
So What Do You Do:
- Wear a wrist/thumb brace (ok did that and was still in pain).
- Cortisone shot (relief at last but I must warn you the shot hurts like HECK and the pain intensifies for about 2-3 days after the shot but then you get AMAZING relief!!!). My relief lasted about 3 months and then I slowly felt the pain creep back up so back for round 2 I went!
- Surgery- I have been told that if it doesn’t go away surgery is the only option but I don’t want to go there either!
How is my Mommy Thumb Today:
Today I’m pain free, so off to lifting, tossing and playing with Cupcake I go until that pesky pain creeps back up again and then its off to Dr. Mommy Thumb I go ( at least I found another person that will look at yet another picture of my daughter- BONUS!!!).
I hope you never get Mommy Thumb, but if you do know that there is relief to be found OR better yet put your feet up, have a glass of wine and order people around! I should have taken my own advice!